L'oreal To Remove Words Like 'Whitening' From Its Skincare Products
L’Oreal has announced it will remove words like “whitening” from its skincare products, a move that comes amid global anti-racism protests sparked by the death of George Floyd in the United States.
The French cosmetics company - the largest in the world - said in a statement on Saturday that it “has decided to remove the words ‘white/whitening’, ‘fair/fairness’, ‘light/lightening’ from all its skin evening products”.
The move follows a similar one by the Indian and Bangladeshi arms of Unilever on Thursday, who said it would rename its locally marketed “Fair & Lovely” skin-lightening cream.
Earlier in June, L’Oreal faced criticism after tweeting that it “stands in solidarity with the Black community and against injustice of any kind. Speaking out is worth it”.
The social media post drew a negative response from people who claimed the company’s business model and advertising has long focused on white consumers.
Munroe Bergdof - who was L’Oreal UK’s first openly transgender model - accused the company of hypocrisy for having fired her in 2017 for decrying “the racial violence of white people”.
Several companies including L’Oreal and Uniliver have come under recent fire for skin-lightening products in the wake of growing support for the Black Lives Matter movement.
Last week Johnson & Johnson said it would stop selling two lines of skin whitening products that refer to “Fairness” on its labels.
Reference: Huffington Post : Léonie Chao-Fong:27th June 2020
- Why We Need to Stop Linking Beauty and Success With ‘Fair’ Skin
- CONTACT DERMATITIS - TOXIC BEAUTY
- A Hair - Raising Experience: Toxic Beauty
- Chemical Nasty : Sodium lauryl sulphate - Toxic Beauty
- Skin Colour
- Skin Types - Cosmetics Unmasked
- Maintaining Healthy Skin - Cosmetics Unmasked
- Dissolving lip fillers? An aesthetic doctor explains what you need to know
- Corn Starch Uses
- L'Oreal To Remove Words Like 'Whitening' From Its Skincare Products
- Is Your Bath Giving You The Itch? - Toxic Beauty
- Preservatives - Toxic Beauty
- Chemical nasty: Kathon CG - Toxic Beauty
- Adverse Effects Of 20 Common Fragrance Materials - Toxic Beauty
- What is Skin? Cosmetics Unmasked
- Help I'm Allergic - The Chemical Culprits - Toxic beauty
- Skin Care - Cosmetics Unmasked
- Help, I'm Allergic! - Toxic Beauty
- CoronaVirus - How to Wash Your Hands
- Asthma and Cosmetic Ingredients
- White Bees Wax
- Cosmetic Preservatives A-Z
- Caprylyl Glycol
- Cosmetics Unmasked - How Safe Are Colorants?
- Cosmetics Unmasked - Choosing Ingredients
- Cosmetics Unmasked - Colorants And Fragrances
- Toxic Beauty - Who's Looking At Cosmetics?
- Toxic Beauty - Hazardous To Your Health
- Potassium Sorbate
- Chemicals Lingering In The Environment
- Microbes and Safety Standards
- Microbes and Cosmetics
- Fresh Goat's Milk Soap
- Synthetics In Cosmetics - The Industry Fights Back
- Yellow Bees Wax
- Cosmetics Unmasked - Fragrances
- Active Ingredients