Cosmetics Unmasked - Choosing Ingredients
We would like to believe that manufacturers choose their ingredients because they are the best ingredients available. Nothing could be further from the truth. If you examine the ingredients listed on a shampoo bottle and a conditioner made by the same manufacturer you will often find that many ingredients are common to both.
This is not because they are necessarily the best ingredients, but because the manufacturers can maximize profits by bulk-buying one ingredient rather than two, or make cost savings for other reasons - such as reducing the need for raw materials. The upside to this is that if you do use a number of products made by the same manufacturers, you are probably exposing yourself to a smaller overall number of cosmetic ingredients, thereby reducing the risk of adverse effects.
On the other hand, if you buy a product that has been manufactured in the USA and compare the ingredients with an identical product manufactured under license in the UK, you will often find that the ingredients, will have the same name, same packaging, and even the same television advertisment.
The differences are not due to the ingredients being restricted, banned, or unavailable in the UK, but simply to there being cheaper alternatives that do exactly the same job. The same is true of beer: American beer brewed under license in the UK just doesn't taste the same.
Reference: Cosmetics Unmasked : Dr Stephen & Gina Antczak
- Yes, You Can Bleach Your Curls Platinum & Keep Them Healthy — Here’s How
- Losing its sparkle: the dark side of glitter
- Acid found in palm oil linked to cancer spread, study suggests
- British woman, 28, dies two days after liposuction surgery in Turkey
- A Derm Explains The Link Between COVID & Allergic Reactions To Hair Dye
- What is hyperpigmentation and how can you treat your skin? From serums to laser
- Linda Evangelista: I have been 'permanently deformed' by fat-freezing procedure
- Chrissy Teigen reveals she's had fat removed from her face
- Skin Lightners - Toxic Beauty
- Hair Dyes and Contact Dermatitis - Toxic Beauty
- Some Chemicals Associated With Contact Dermatitis - Toxic Beauty
- Typical Ingredients - Natural Collection Light Body Lotion
- Emollients and Moisturizing Creams - Cosmetics Unmasked
- Wrinkles - Cosmetics Unmasked
- Aging Skin - Cosmetics Unmasked
- Can Breast Implants Make You Sick?
- The Untold Dangers of Synthetic Hair Extensions & Wigs (2021)
- The harsh truth about hair relaxers
- This is the new chapter of the black hair industry, and it’s pretty powerful
- Nose reshaping (rhinoplasty)
- White Bees Wax
- Cosmetic Preservatives A-Z
- Caprylyl Glycol
- Cosmetics Unmasked - How Safe Are Colorants?
- Cosmetics Unmasked - Choosing Ingredients
- Cosmetics Unmasked - Colorants And Fragrances
- Toxic Beauty - Who's Looking At Cosmetics?
- Toxic Beauty - Hazardous To Your Health
- Chemicals Lingering In The Environment
- Microbes and Safety Standards
- Potassium Sorbate
- Cosmetics Unmasked - Fragrances
- Microbes and Cosmetics
- Synthetics In Cosmetics - The Industry Fights Back
- Fresh Goat's Milk Soap
- Active Ingredients
- Yellow Bees Wax